Friday, February 14, 2020

Mt. Ballard and Mt. Fissure Fail

Offending Nalgene bottle.
Hoped to hike up to Mount Ballard and Fissure Peak today. I first hiked up there in 2015 with my hiking pal, Ira. So click the link if you want to see the views from the top of both peaks. I knew I would be hitting some snow and packed accordingly. However, about 2.5 miles in, and almost to the top of Ballard, I realized I'd lost my 1 liter bottle of water, the usual amount for a short hike. I had no choice but to turn around and head home. When I reached the trail head, there was my bottle on the ground, apparently having not been properly secured on my lumbar pack. To make a short story long, or a long hike short, my 8-mile hike ended up as a 5-miler. Temps around 60 at the base, with hazy wisps of cirrus.
Barely worked off my energy bar breakfast.


Shot of the Bisbee "B." on B Hill above Bisbee. Snow-capped Chiricahuas in the background.

Juniper Flats where I hiked to last week.


Had to don my micro-spikes in anticipation of snow.

4-5 inches of snow.

Had to follow cougar tracks to make my way.

Final shot of the Bisbee "B."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugh Norris to Wasson Peak

After Saturday's epic twenty mile hiking event, I needed something a little shorter to end my season. Having already established a tradi...