Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Picacho Peak Via the Hunter Trail

Picacho Peak is a very short hike. It is also a very steep, rocky, and scree-laden hike, with over 2,000 feet of elevation gain in 1.4 miles. That is why it is rated as hard. But the views and the uniqueness of this little state park gem are what make it worth the 45 minute drive up I-10 from Tucson. 

This isn't my first time hiking Picacho; it's a regular, almost annual hike, and anyone who visits will inevitably be invited to join me if they're up for the challenge. I first discovered the hike over 20 years ago, when I was much less fit. I hiked it most recently in January of 2020 with my brother, pre-Covid and before the dim-witted Republican response that kept us from returning to Arizona for the winter of 2020/2021. I also hiked it with my pals Jack and Misty in January of 2019, but we descended the Sunset Trail for a longer but less-challenging hike. The Hunter is arduous and not for the fainthearted, as you will see. 


The Hunter Trail starts out prosaically enough, but the challenge quickly steepens.



Lots of changing views as the trail wraps almost completely around this rather slender and compact mountain.


These pictures don't really capture the verticality of many parts of this trail. But stretches like this are what allow one to climb over a third of a mile in under a mile-and-a-half.


I could have kicked myself for leaving my climbing gloves at (Tucson) home. I actually had this hike in mind when I packed them.

This shot gives a better idea of what this unique trail is all about.


The lesser peak on this little dual summit hike.



The smile says, all downhill from here (well, not quite).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugh Norris to Wasson Peak

After Saturday's epic twenty mile hiking event, I needed something a little shorter to end my season. Having already established a tradi...