Saturday, December 4, 2021

Pontatoc Ridge Redux Redux

Two days after arriving in Tucson, champing at the bit for my first hike, I finally got out there for an early morning heart-pumper. The closest trailheads to our new digs on Copper and Campbell are a twenty minute drive to the end of Alvernon Way. There is a choice of three hikes here, the 8.8 mile Mount Kimball via Finger Rock Trail, the 5.8 mile Pontatoc Canyon Trail, and the 4.2 miles Pontatoc Ridge Trail. I chose the latter as I wanted to be back home in two hours.
I had forgotten how challenging this trail is, with its rocky steepness. I was a bit slow starting out as I still wasn’t quite acclimated to the elevation, and I had’t been hiking in two years apart from a three-day 32-mile backpacking trip in the Lost Creek Wilderness in August. To get my time closer to two hours, and my pace under 30 minutes per mile, I foolishly picked up the pace on my return and twisted my ankle—possibly jeopardizing my hike up the challenging Blackett’s Ridge the following day.

Finger Rock closeup.

Nearing the summit.

Finger Rock (barely visible).



Made it in almost two hours, but my pace was under 30 as I hiked an extra .3 miles due to an overgrown trail which I lost a couple of times.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugh Norris to Wasson Peak

After Saturday's epic twenty mile hiking event, I needed something a little shorter to end my season. Having already established a tradi...