Tuesday, December 27, 2022

David Yetman Trail

Post holiday, and hiking solo, I needed a short, safe, not terribly challenging hike to ease into the new year and work off Sunday's potluck with friends. The Yetman trail fits the bill nicely: under 13 miles, well-trafficked trails, and only 1,300 feet of elevation gain.

Another plus today, I saw no people starting out at 8:30, and few on the way to Gates Pass, where the trail ends and I reverse my steps. Temps around 52º starting out, climbing up to 72º at the finish on its way to the high today of 77º.

The historic Bowen House remains had nary a soul, save mine, and I'm pretty sure I don't have one as they don't exist. Usually, even on weekdays, since Bowen House is so close to the trailhead, it's rife with other apes. I would encounter a few bikers and hikers today, but mostly on my return from Gates Pass.



The beautiful Bowen House, built in the 30s, and abandoned a couple of decades later.


I took advantage of the lack of people to take the pictures I've always avoided because of the people.








The Yetman trail is but one of many in the wonderful Tucson Mountain Park, which has somewhat saved the area from the rapacious developers that haunt Arizona like parasites.



The Bowen house is always a welcomed sight on the return as it means you only have a mile left to go.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugh Norris to Wasson Peak

After Saturday's epic twenty mile hiking event, I needed something a little shorter to end my season. Having already established a tradi...