Sunday, December 11, 2022

Romero Pass Via Romero Canyon.

The Romero Pools, three miles in, the destination of the vast majority of hikers. It's always good to get beyond them for peace and quiet. However, not a lot of hikers today.

This was a challenging hike for only the second outing of the season, with over 14 miles and almost 4,000 feet of elevation gain. Of course, I have been drawing Medicare® for the past year. Pretty knackered at the end. The last mile up to the pass was especially steep and brutal. Not my first Romero Pass hike; I did it with my pal Jack Simard from Quebec back in December of 2018, (check here if you want more substantial pictures) and also again in January of 2019, when four of us descended Romero Canyon at the end of our rather terrifying 24-mile-slog up the Sutherland Trail through thigh deep snow that ended at midnight—a full six hours late.

The 2 mph pace was nothing to write home about, but considering
my lack of training, and the elevation gain, not horrible.



A beautiful day, with highs in the 60s and 70s, cooler at the pass.






Upper Romero Pools.


More upper Romero Pools.



One of two rather nice campgrounds on the trail. I did hike up here in 2017 with my Seattle/Bisbee





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugh Norris to Wasson Peak

After Saturday's epic twenty mile hiking event, I needed something a little shorter to end my season. Having already established a tradi...