Friday, January 13, 2023

Short, Sweet & Steep: Tumamoc Hill

This is my go-to jaunt when I have an hour to shoehorn a training hike into my busy schedule—right there on my retirement calendar between crosswords one and two. It's also a barometer of my general fitness level from year to year: I need only keep a pace of around 15 minutes a mile (4mph). Lacking that, I know I have work to do. My previous trip up, in January of 2020 (before we took a Covid year off), was a tad slower. Perhaps my physical deterioration isn't accelerating.

This might very well be the final hike before Arizona feels the effects of the atmospheric river that has so devastated parts of California. The temps are expected to drop by 20 degrees in the next week, with lots of unseasonable rain. Should make the already burgeoning streams swift and dangerous, limiting access to many local trailheads and hikes. 


Getting a little too close to my ideal pace of 15:00.



This hill is downtown and usually crowded with walkers and runners. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugh Norris to Wasson Peak

After Saturday's epic twenty mile hiking event, I needed something a little shorter to end my season. Having already established a tradi...