Saturday, February 18, 2023

Tanque Verde Ridge to Juniper Basin Campground

Today's hike was a challenging 14-miler in the Rincons on the eastern edge of Tucson. The Tanque Verde Ridge Trail climbs up and out of the Javalina Picnic area in Saguaro National Park East, and continues for eleven miles to Cow Head Saddle. 

I hiked solo today, but I was only hiking seven miles up, to the Juniper Basin Campground, and I figured I would run into a few backpackers for safety, which I did: three hiking down from the campground, three on their way up for an overnight.

I hiked about five miles up the Tanque Verde Ridge in December of 2019. And prior to that, also in December 2019, my hiking partner Misty and I hiked it's entirety from the other direction starting at the Douglas Spring Trailhead and hiking to Cow Head Saddle and back west on this trail in an epic 20-mile point-to-point hike. Today’s hike was the furthest I'd hiked in this direction. I would have gone the extra two miles up to the peak, but there was snow at the campground, and much more higher up, and I’ll no doubt be getting my fill of snow in a couple of weeks.

I'm also hiking in brand new boots today (Keens—which I'd never worn—yet were comfy right out of the box), something not recommended by serious hikers, but they performed just fine. Normally, I'd try new boots out on a shorter outing, or at least wear them around the house for a bit, but hiking season is winding down, and today's weather was absolutely sublime: 53º at the trailhead at 8:00; 75º at 2:30.




Many false summits on this route. You can't see Tanque Verde Peak until you're right up on it. So no sightings this trip.


Lots of overgrown grass, often obscuring the trail, but all-in-all, fairly easy to navigate.




I stopped for a screen shot and a pic of how far 
up I hiked in 2019.


My lunch spot-ish in 2019, and the point at which I returned to the trailhead.



Two more short miles and I reached the campground
with campsites and a toilet.


The return should be faster and easier as I'd already 
realized the bulk of the elevation gain on this hike.


The campground had plenty of water running.


Three well-spaced campsites. I really should have brought my camping gear, but I'd probably be camping solo. In January of 2020, I did camp at the sister campground to Juniper Basin, the equidistant Douglas Spring Campground, about 6.5 miles from here, and itself 6.5 miles in from the Douglas Spring Trailhead. These two campgrounds make for a nice three-day, two-night, 20-mile backpacking trip.  And so close to Tucson.


Fancy plein air accommodations (not a Monet painting).




Amazing burnt tree carcass from the last fire to sweep through 
the area.


The winds from the latest cold front to move in rendered the air rife with particulate matter. Smog mixed with dust, not so great for one's upper respiratory, nor photographing mountain vistas.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugh Norris to Wasson Peak

After Saturday's epic twenty mile hiking event, I needed something a little shorter to end my season. Having already established a tradi...