Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Wasson Peak Yearly Bookends

I decided to begin this hiking season with the final hike of 2022-2023. Apparently, I also began last season with the same hike, so I think I might be on to some ritual or other. One benefit to bookending a season with the same hike across multiple seasons is that it functions as a rough gauge of one's fitness from year to year. If comparison to last year is any indication, I just might be in better shape this December than I was last December. One expects a drop-off in performance after a nine month layoff from hiking, but my time today was very close to what it was in February when I ended the season with this same hike and was quite fit. And that is good because I have a 14-mile hike up Mt. Wrightson on Sunday.

Not many other hikers out today. Met three or four soloists, and maybe five couples. The weather was gorgeous, clear skies all day, temp at the trailhead at 8:30 was a comfortable 50º, which would rise to 70º by hike's end. This is a good first hike, with the substantial elevation gain (over 2,000 feet) spread out over ~4.5 miles. Easier than one of my other favorite first hikes, Blackett's Ridge, which gains about the 1,600 feet over about 2 miles.



About 3.5 miles in, the Sweetwater meets the King's Canyon Trail, which comes up from the south near the Desert Museum and connects with the Hugh Norris Trails for a slightly shorter (7.9 miles) loop hike. Most hikers choose this option.
 


Wasson Peak, with the trail obliquely climbing up the side.


Only .3 miles yet to go. I did pass a fellow who ascended from the Sender Esperanza Trail. When I came up behind him and said hello, he asked me if I was in a hurry, like I was just going to follow him up. I simply replied that I was not in any particular hurry, just hiking my normal pace. I'm sure he wasn't happy with that response.


Slower going up than the descent, as can be expected, but 2.7 mph ain't too shabby for an elderly man.





















Here is a little panoramic video from the summit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugh Norris to Wasson Peak

After Saturday's epic twenty mile hiking event, I needed something a little shorter to end my season. Having already established a tradi...