Saturday, February 11, 2017

Joe's Canyon and Yaqui Ridge Trails

I led a hike today for our local hiking club, the Muleteam, on Joe's Canyon Trail and the Yaqui Ridge Trail down to the Mexican border. I convinced five members to join me in sneaking across the border for lunch at my favorite spot overlooking the border (and the Border Patrol who scurry around far below). 

Today we were in for an exciting surprise, however, as a Border Patrol helicopter zoomed low over the border right near us. I was able to take this shot as it flew away, obviously having not seen us tucked into the rocks enjoying our lunches. I offered my five companions a coyote service to sneak them back over the border for a thousand bucks a head; I got no takers. I hate to break it to our new pResident, Cheeto Mussolini, that, not only is a wall a real douche move and xenophobic as hell, it's also not going to happen in places like this (you simplistic moron). In any event, it was a beautiful hike with temps in the 70s, about 6.8 miles, and about 2,000 feet of elevation gain. Grand views of the Mexican state of Sonora, where we also had lunch. 




Sonora. Our lunch spot was on the hill in the background.

A view from our lunch spot looking down on stele marking the border and commemorating U.S.-Mexican cooperation. How quaint.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugh Norris to Wasson Peak

After Saturday's epic twenty mile hiking event, I needed something a little shorter to end my season. Having already established a tradi...