Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Bike Touring Kit (Part 3): Hubba Hubba

This is it, the best damned bike touring tent I've ever had. Capacious, tall (I can easily “stand up” on my knees inside), and weighing in at just under 2kg. Packed in one rear pannier, with plenty of room left over for a few bottles of craft ale, or a bag of food from a farmers market. It's a wonderful shade of green, one that is found in nature, so if you're tired of peddling for the day, and you're nowhere near an authorized camping spot, it's easy to stealth camp. It's made by MSR of Cascade Designs. I couldn't camp without Cascade Designs (MSR stoves, tents, water filtration), Therm-a-Rest mattresses, Platypus water bags). 


Photo from Tom Allen's site.

I'm not alone in saying this is the best tent for bike touring. Brit Tom Allen conducted an unscientific survey in 2014 that said so as well. Glad I bought mine in 2012 because it is no longer available in this incarnation.
In 2014, they discontinued the Hubba Hubba and replaced it with the Hubba Hubba NX. Half a kilo lighter, and retaining the innovative one-pole hub system. However, it's now a boring old grey color that is supposed to be light neutral inside. Who cares about what the ambient light is while sitting awake in a tent during the day? I want the natural flora green back so I can disappear into a national forest or someone's farm. As for the weight reduction by almost a third, my bike fully loaded weighs over a hundred pounds. Who cares about a mere pound. I simply imagine the old tent will be about a third more durable.
This is the innovative "one pole" design that uses a series of hubs that combine to make a one-piece frame. Quick and easy to set up (10 minutes, tops), well, except for that one time in 2015 while touring in Colorado. We stopped for a couple pints of strong ale at Elevation Beer Company in Poncha Springs to wash down the edibles we brought with us from Denver. I think we stumbled around for an hour before we made camp that day. On a clear, hot night, leave the fly off and enjoy the stars. If the weather is nasty, stay nice, dry and cozy with your gear close by in the two spacious vestibules on either side. Two doors as well on this puppy.


Champoeg State Park, Oregon tour, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugh Norris to Wasson Peak

After Saturday's epic twenty mile hiking event, I needed something a little shorter to end my season. Having already established a tradi...