Friday, February 1, 2019

Ridge Trail to Juniper Flats Road (2)

Back in Bisbee for our final month in Arizona. For my first hike down here, not wanting to drive anywhere and having only a couple-three of hours free, I chose the good old Ridge Trail. I did this loop in February, 2017, beginning at our little apartment on Subway Street. 

This time, since we live on Tombstone, which is also part of the loop, I only had to walk out our front door and down Tombstone Canyon Road, through Main Street and then on up to the ridge via steps, 150 precisely. 

Not yet used to Bisbee's cooler temps. Today it only got up to 58 degrees, and when the sun dipped behind a cloud as it did often, you could really feel the cold. I finished the hike wearing my fleece.


Steps up to High Road/Grand Avenue where the climb up to the ridge begins.

Up on the ridge looking back at the copper mine's lavender pit (so dubbed by the locals). There are other pit-related bon mots such as pit happens, and big ass hole.
A fairly boulder-free trail, which I really appreciate after some of the grueling scrambling hikes around Tucson.

Tombstone Canyon, where this loop begins and ends for me this year.




Juniper Flats in the background, with the antenna on top. That is another hike, an extension of this hike, with more distance (9.2 miles versus 6.7) and more elevation gain (1,600 feet versus 1,300 feet). I last did this hike in January of 2017.

The Chiricahuas in the far distance, one of my favorite ranges in these parts. Today's hike takes place entirely in the Mule Mountains.


Juniper Flats Road.

Looking over the fence at local artist/architect Todd Bogotay's imaginative eco-village.

Bisbee from the Divide.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugh Norris to Wasson Peak

After Saturday's epic twenty mile hiking event, I needed something a little shorter to end my season. Having already established a tradi...