Sunday, December 15, 2019

Finger Rock Trail to Linda Vista Saddle

Today I revisited the short but steep Finger Rock Trail in the Santa Catalinas, one of the more challenging trails in the area with its 2,500 feet of elevation gain mostly residing in the last two miles. Last year I joined the Oro Valley hikers and the weather turned to fog toward the top, obscuring the great views. The trail was also wet then, and quite slippery and dangerous in many spots. Today was sunny and dry and I made it up in 2 hours and 40 minutes but down in an 1 hour and 10. This trail takes you to the Pima Canyon Trail and Mt. Kimball (8+ miles round trip) or the Linda Vista Saddle (6.2 miles). Last year my hiking pals Jack Simard and Misty Aiken joined me for a wonderful point-to-point hike up Pima Canyon to Mt. Kimball and down the Finger Rock Trail

Today's outing was the second in as many days with the Tucson Hiking Meetup Group, again led by Stan, and he led us to Linda Vista Saddle, same as last year's hike. And this saddle truly is muy linda. Stopping at the Saddle shaves 2.5 miles off the total mileage, but 1,500 feet of elevation gain as well. Until I get fully acclimated to the elevation, I'm okay with that. I have an epic hike planned for next Friday so I can wait.



There's the finger, wagging, pointing up to the heavens, or simply flipping the humans off—depends on your mood.


Saguaros dot the lower reaches of this and most canyons in the area.


One gets to elevation pretty quickly on this steep trail.


There are many flat, exposed sections of rock on this trail. When they're dry they're no problem; when they're wet, like last year's hike, they are simply treacherous and you better have hiking poles or even micro spikes as the drop-off is precipitous.



The is the backdrop to the Linda Vista Saddle, where we had lunch.



Another section of exposed rock, albeit dry today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugh Norris to Wasson Peak

After Saturday's epic twenty mile hiking event, I needed something a little shorter to end my season. Having already established a tradi...