Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Pima Canyon to the Bighorn Fire Scar

I hiked the Pima Canyon Trail today, but only to the Bighorn fire scar closure, a little over 4 miles up, so only 8.5 miles round trip. This has long been a favorite hike, and always a little sketchy past the the halfway point, but the 2020 fire did massive damage to the Santa Catalinas as almost 120,000 acres burned. The last time I hiked the trail was three years ago. My hiking partners Misty and Jack and I did it as a point-to-point, first climbing to Mount Kimball, then on to where the Pima Canyon Trail intersects the rocky and steep Finger Rock Trail, and then down to the Finger Rock Trailhead on Alvernon Way. Misty and I also hiked the Finger Rock Trail up to Mount Kimball a week ago, and were shocked by the fire damage, especially at the summit.


The Bighorn fire which burned from June 5th to July 23rd, 2020. The fire was the result of a lightening strike. (Photo by Wendy Witzig)



The red trails are the closed sections and include many of my favorite trails.


The day started out cloudy, but the sun did pop out a few times, and rain looked imminent once or twice as well. Temps were a pretty chilly 50-60—so perfect hiking weather.
 

These rocks are not normally black, but made so by the fire.





Mortars from the Hohokam People, who lived in the area around 750 CE.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugh Norris to Wasson Peak

After Saturday's epic twenty mile hiking event, I needed something a little shorter to end my season. Having already established a tradi...