Thursday, December 22, 2022

Hutch's Pool Via Phoneline and Sabino Canyon Trails

Hutch's Pool is a favorite hike, and today's gorgeous weather—clear skies and mid-sixties—only made it more special. I was joined by my uber fit hiking partner Misty Atkins, late of Colorado, now of Tucson. This was our second time on this hike together. We also did it about three years ago with our friend Stan, which came in at 18 miles (18 because we got off trail to the tune of half a mile).

AllTrails rates this hike as moderate, perhaps because their route has you walk the paved shuttle road for the first three+ miles, and again on the return. Yet other hikers take the shuttle bus to the Sabino Canyon trailhead shaving another 7 miles off the total.We chose to hike the parallel Phoneline Trail, which increases the distance from 15.3 miles to over 17, and also increases the elevation gain by 500 feet. That said, I'd probably still rate this hike as moderate because of the relatively low elevation gain of 2,300 feet.

We were in for the whole experience today: Phoneline, Sabino Canyon and the West Fork (Sabino Canyon) Trails, out and back. After we got past the Phoneline Trail and onto the Sabino Canyon section, we saw no other hikers until we returned to the Phoneline. I'm not sure why there have been relatively so few hikers this season; we've noticed it on other trails this year as well, including on the weekend. My theory is that peak pandemic had folks out in droves clogging up the trails, and now they're taking some time off as they return to their normal lifestyles. In any event, I'll take it. Hiking, for me, is like watching a movie in a theater; I'm not wild about sharing the space with lots of strangers. 

One last thing, I’m now (temporarily at least) wearing a Medicare-“gifted” Fitbit, a rather pestiferous appliance with all the constant notifications (most of which I managed to turn off). Today’s hike came in at just under 44,000 steps. Whoopty.




The shuttle bus which travels the 3.5 miles from the visitor center to the Sabino Canyon Trailhead and back every half hour from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.



The West Fork Trail took us to the Pools. It continues on to meet up with the Romero Canyon Pass and Trail, which we did a couple of weeks ago. The East Fork wraps around over to Bear Canyon. Last year Misty and I did an epic 18-mile loop hike up Bear Canyon, past Seven Falls, and around to the Sabino Canyon and Phoneline trails. A wonderful hike I'd certainly do again.






Ms. Atkins.


The Pools. There are camping spots out here, and usually campers.


Lots of water this year.








Still a lot of fall color in Sabino Canyon.


I love these massive layer cake boulders.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugh Norris to Wasson Peak

After Saturday's epic twenty mile hiking event, I needed something a little shorter to end my season. Having already established a tradi...