Monday, December 30, 2019

Pontatoc Canyon Trail

Finally got back to the trails after all the holiday distractions. I got to try out a great new (to me) app called PeakFinder


According to their promo—

"The mountains are calling! Explore more mountains than any mountaineer! PeakFinder AR makes it possible… and shows the names of all mountains and peaks with a 360° panorama display.This functions completely offline - and worldwide! PeakFinder knows more than 650'000 peaks - from Mount Everest to the little hill around the corner." 

There are so many features packed into this amazing five dollar app. You can even peer over whatever hill or mountain range that blocks your line of sight. So of course, I had to try it out immediately. 

I headed to my closest hiking area, the Pusch Wilderness, and specifically the trailheads at the end of Alvernon Way. There are three primary trails there: the difficult and steep Finger Rock Trail; the quick but steep Pontatoc Ridge Trail, and one I’ve never done, the Pontatoc Canyon Trail; I chose the latter for that same reason. It was past 2:30, late in the day for hiking this time of year (sunset at 5:30) so I decided to hike out for an hour or so then hike back. I only managed four of the 6.2 miles, but I must say, that was enough for two hours. The trail was rocky, steep in parts, overgrown with cacti and other brambly flora, and in spots, rather treacherous. So it was slow going. Temperatures around 50 at the trail head, and in the 40s higher up. This cold spell will end by this weekend, and even today it will get up to the low 60s. 


Even on Alvernon on the way in, I couldn't help myself and had to pull over. This app apparently only identifies peaks, not other landmarks like the Finger Rock in the middle, to the left of Mount Kimball.

Gorp Peak, who knew? What next, Cliff Bar Cave? Trail-Mix Trail?


About .8 miles in, these two trails diverge. The Pontatoc Ridge Trail I  hiked a couple of weeks ago.

Looking up at the white cliffs where the Pontatoc Ridge Trail unceremoniously ends. I will be hiking quite to the left, crossing over to the east canyon wall.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugh Norris to Wasson Peak

After Saturday's epic twenty mile hiking event, I needed something a little shorter to end my season. Having already established a tradi...