Thursday, July 5, 2018

Bike Touring Kit (Part 5): Really Gonna Carry That?

I decided to edit the contents of my panniers and bags to see if I could eliminate anything, to lighten things up a bit from my 100-pound-plus bike. I also am running out of time before my trip but nevertheless felt compelled to post this time-consuming and very anal blog post. What is wrong with me?

So, the result of my editing? I think I simply discovered a few items I need to add.
When I stepped on the scales with these, I got 200 pounds. Deduct my 130 pounds and I'm left with 70 pounds of gear. About my usual weight. 

















I don't really need the Kindle, but I hate reading from an iPhone SE, and if I am anywhere alone for more than five minutes, I need reading material. So it stays.

Truth be told, besides the Alien tool, cables, tire, tube, and tire levers, I could probably leave the rest at home. But I won't; I've always carried suspenders and a belt, and suspenders.



All good.
I suppose the rather heavy Tempur-pedic pillow is not necessary, but a good night's sleep is, so I guess it stays.

I thought long and hard about a few of these items. There really is nothing quite like fresh-ground pepper. The chef's knife and cutting board don't really weigh that much,so they stay. Everything else is simply necessary.

Nothing extravagant here.

I could lose the 2-pound camp chair, but I just bought it and have never traveled with one, so I just have to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugh Norris to Wasson Peak

After Saturday's epic twenty mile hiking event, I needed something a little shorter to end my season. Having already established a tradi...