Sunday, January 8, 2017

Highway to Hell

Ok. I'm kinda new at this. I thought, it's 71 degrees today. I'll start out wearing shorts and I can always zip on pant legs when I need them. So, I headed out with my small lumbar pack, forgetting that my pant legs were in my larger pack. Then, I took an unknown but inviting looking trail that petered out after a half mile leaving me to bushwhack my way back to a trail, any trail. An hour later, and several falls down gravelly slopes of acacia, cacti, and other sharp objects, I hit the Shrine trail and quickly made my way back to town. Of the four miles and 1,000 feet of elevation gain I covered, about a mile of that took about an hour-and-a-half, the remainder of the trip taking the other hour.




The last house on Zacatecas Canyon Road.














The offending trail, aka, Highway to Hell.













I thought I was in for a treat: Great views of the Chiricahuas.
Smiling and wound-free. I think I lost the trail soon after.

Yeah. No trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugh Norris to Wasson Peak

After Saturday's epic twenty mile hiking event, I needed something a little shorter to end my season. Having already established a tradi...