Thursday, December 1, 2016

Monte Vista Peak in the Snow

Nothing focuses the mind and makes one feel alive quite like a little danger and putting oneself out there. Thus was my seven mile unaccompanied roundtrip hike up to the Monte Vista lookout. That this was a new hike, with over 2,700 feet of elevation gain, through three-plus inches of new and slippery snow, in the middle of nowhere, and without a hiking buddy made this a bit of an adventure and maybe a little bit dumb. I’m glad I was by myself, however, as the quiet and solitude were invigorating and cathartic. God, how can anyone believe in any Diety or ancient superstition when Mother Nature provides all the succor we need?
Monte Vista Peak (on the left, in the middle, or on the right).
The Chiricahuas.

The Chiricahuas.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugh Norris to Wasson Peak

After Saturday's epic twenty mile hiking event, I needed something a little shorter to end my season. Having already established a tradi...