Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Wasson Peak 2020

Since we’re moving to Bisbee this week, and I won’t be hitting a trail for awhile, I figured I might as well take one more swing at Wasson Peak, the highest point in the Tucson Mountains. My brother Jon and I hiked it last year right after I picked him up from the airport, my way of welcoming him and his 400-foot Texas lungs to Tucson. I took it a little easier on him this year with the shorter but still difficult Pontatoc Ridge Trail.

Today’s goal was to shave a few minutes off from last year’s time and finish in 2 1/2 hours. In that I succeeded. I did hike it clockwise  this year, versus counter-clockwise as last year, starting on the Gould Mine Trail, then the Hugh Norris Trail to the peak, and finally, back on the King Canyon Trail. Beautiful day with temps in the low 70s by hike’s end.

Wasson Peak is within the boundaries of Saguaro National Park West. On Saturday, we backpacked in Saguaro National Park East.



The remains of a building associated with the old mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugh Norris to Wasson Peak

After Saturday's epic twenty mile hiking event, I needed something a little shorter to end my season. Having already established a tradi...