Monday, February 24, 2020

Mount Ballard- Fissure Peak Redux

A rocky climb on the way to Fissure.
I figured I’d have to hike back up Mount Ballard and then on to Fissure Peak after my failed attempt of ten days ago, when I dropped my water bottle at the trailhead and had to abort. I also figured the hiking conditions might be a bit more conducive to such a steep climb on wet, slippery talus since we’ve had a series of warmer days and the snows should have disappeared above 6,500 feet. I was right on that score. Temps were a breezy 50 at the top (7,350 feet), but no extant snow on the trail. As for the trail to Fissure, it was quite overgrown and difficult to follow, apparently sliding into disuse because almost no one hikes here anymore. I guess there must be some great telly on. On another positive side note, the egregious crucifix with a First Kings reference marking Ballard Peak has been put to rest, interred, really, as it was apparently installed with concrete footings. Lord knows I’ve tried to dislodge it in the past and hurl it over the side of the mountain, only to be thwarted because it was so well dug in. 



The offending crucifix despoiling Mother Nature (as it existed on a previous hike—2016 I believe).
The newly interred crucifix as it now lies in peace.

Looking south from Ballard into Mexico.


Fissure Peak, a saddle and a scramble away.




Back from whence I'd hiked: Mt. Ballard.

Looking west toward Miller Peak, which I hiked last week in epic fashion.

Looking down into Mexico from Fissure.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugh Norris to Wasson Peak

After Saturday's epic twenty mile hiking event, I needed something a little shorter to end my season. Having already established a tradi...