Saturday, January 28, 2023

Phoneline-Sabino Canyon Loop

Finally got out on an actual hike (not a walk); first one in over a week. Chose the Sabino Canyon Recreation Area despite it being a weekend, and sure enough, I had to park in the overflow parking. There are numerous trails in this amazing amenity smack dab in the middle of a residential neighborhood. Were it not for "protected" places like this, all of Arizona would simply be one big development.

I had about three hours to kill, so I chose the Phoneline-Sabino Canyon loop at around 10 miles. This loop follows the Phoneline Trail which climbs up the east side of Sabino Canyon far above the creek and tram road below. Hike this about six miles to the end then take the half-mile switchback down to the end of the tram road and tram stop no. 9. The rest of the hike is on the tram road back to the visitor center. 

The trails were crawling with bipeds, especially close to the start, but after two or three miles, I had some quiet alone-time.

I was surprised to see so much water over the road as Sabino Creek was especially high with snow melt from recent weather. We've had a lot of rain (snow at elevation) the past month, and the Canyon was especially lush and verdant, and a lot of water flowing. I counted five water crossings on the return, and I just kept my hiking shoes on making for a sloppy, squishy last three miles. I was saved by my Darn Tough wool hiking socks, made in the great state of Vermont.



Normally, I would start out at the visitor center parking lot and be right on the Phoneline Trail, But since I parked in the overflow lot, I first had to take the tram road about ¾ of a mile back to the visitor center.






The trail work on the Phoneline Trail is pretty astounding, as evidenced by this wall (center of photo).

Close-up of trail wall.


Mount Lemmon peeking out above Sabino Canyon.


The trail switchback I will take when I reach the end of Phoneline.





I had to cross five of these Sabino Creek overflows. Normally I would have doffed my shoes and socks like this person, but today I couldn't be bothered, mostly because I only had three miles yet to hike.
(Pic stolen from the inter webs as I failed to take one.)





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugh Norris to Wasson Peak

After Saturday's epic twenty mile hiking event, I needed something a little shorter to end my season. Having already established a tradi...