Sunday, February 3, 2019

Tombstone and Zacatecas Canyons

Starting a series of easy day hikes (or walks as they are on roads as much as trails) on smooth surfaces. This is simply a way to help my elderly body recover from all the the epic 15+ milers up craggy canyons in the mountains surrounding Tucson I've done the past couple of months. These will be low-mileage (6-10 miles) affairs with moderate elevation gain (1,000-2,000 feet). My knees, ankles, and hips will thank me. 

This day, my good friend and hiking pal, Ira Yedlin, and I hiked down Tombstone Canyon and then up Brewery Gulch and Zacatecas Canyon just beyond the water catchments. A fairly cool high fifties and mostly cloudy skies presided over the day.



This former water storage tank or catchment also known as the swimming pool, from a time when it served as an unofficial place for a refreshing dip. Now, it serves as a canvas for local scribblers with too much time and too much paint on their hands. At least they're not defacing Mother Nature's wonders like they continue to do on the ugly Shrine hill where they ejaculate their religiosity all over the place.

A collage I made in 2016 when I first documented and editorialized on the egregious defacement of Gaia on the so-called Shrine.

Ira.

Old CCC-era water catchment.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugh Norris to Wasson Peak

After Saturday's epic twenty mile hiking event, I needed something a little shorter to end my season. Having already established a tradi...