Thursday, December 30, 2021

Maiden Pools Via La Ventana

I needed a short "bridge" hike as prep for an upcoming 16+ mile hard hike, this Sunday or perhaps Tuesday, the first of 2022, so I chose the beautiful, short, but challenging Maiden Pools. 

I've hiked this trail before, twice, but bypassed Maiden Pools each time on my way to La Ventana (The Window), a much longer hike. This one is only 5.6 miles, but the nearly 1,400 feet of elevation gain come fast and hard the last mile or so, qualifying this short out-and-back as hard. It is also quite rocky and potentially ankle twisting. And while my ankle is still a little sore, I'd rate it as 95% recovered from Pontatoc Ridge. That I passes two trail runners on the way up, I'd say that's pretty good evidence I'm back to my hiking groove.

Starting out, there were insinuations of blue sky poking through the clouds, but those clouds eventually took over and even dropped some rain. With the temperature only sixty degrees, rain isn't nearly as agreeable as it might otherwise be in this desert-where-no-f-ing-primates-should-live.


My average  pace ended up being under 25 minutes/mile, so not bad for such a rocky, steep trail.


Here're (above and below) examples of some of the rocky stretches of trail.



The trail starts out like this for the first mile, as it traverses the "private property' of La Ventana Resort, who deigned to give hikers access. That, and because they were required to by law.






Looking back south, at Tucson sprawl.






The pools were mostly bereft of anything but standing water in places.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hugh Norris to Wasson Peak

After Saturday's epic twenty mile hiking event, I needed something a little shorter to end my season. Having already established a tradi...